« Home | The Raconteurs - I Like 'Em » | What Time Is It Mr.Wanker? » | What? No, I Don't Have A Cig, Fuck Off. » | A Bravestar Question » | Free Comic Book Day Tomorrow! » | Quote Of The Week » | The Office Ramble » | Copulate Off » | Super Staff » | Lost The Plot » 

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 

Office Worker Gets DVT, Christ All Mighty

I've always thought that office work was unhealthy but I was still floored upon reading about the office worker who after working 8 hours straight got deep vein thrombosis. I hope this will be a wake up call to this work obsessed culture but I doubt it. Whenever there is analysis of the longest working days or most hours worked per week, Britain is always at the top or near it, a lot people seem quite smug about this as if it's some sort of achievement to be working yourself to death.

I make it a point to go out on my lunch breaks and have a bit of a walk, a lot of people don't though and what's more I usually get a few dirty looks, as if to say 'Look at the swine, he can't be working hard if he's got a full hour to spare'. There is a lovely little park near where I work and make it no secret that I like to go there and get away from the tedium, upon my return I sometimes get questions like 'Had a nice walk?' in a nasty tone as if to suggest my time has been wasted when it could have been spent working. A lot of them eat their lunch at their desk while working, god knows why as it never seems to go noticed by the management. Well fuck the lot of them, I don't want to be a zombie like them.

A few weeks ago I got bollocked because I was caught playing chess for five minutes on the internet. I pointed out that the smokers get 10 minute smoke breaks so non-smokers should get some kind of alternative. They laughed this off as if it was the ramblings of a mad man. I even later pointed out that it's in our staff handbook that short breaks are entitled, they just thought I was trying to validate having a doss but what they don't get is they're entitled to a break. Where I work isn't even that faced paced or important so I fear to think how higher pressure work places carry on.

Sometimes when it's extremely quiet I'll sit reading for a bit, if one of the zooming drones notices this they'll go mental trying to find work for me to do. I'll point out that im in a separate department to them and my department is on top of everything but they can't fucking bear to see anyone having a pleasant time at work.

When it's the end of the working day I grab my coat and head straight for the door but a lot of people don't even move, they all stay working away, the first time I noticed this I asked someone who'd been working there longer what the crack was and they said 'They'll stay another hour at least, they don't claim for it either'. From this story today I reckon someone in my office getting DVT in the near future is inevitable. When that happens people will be shocked but they'll probably still sneer at my suggestions for regular breaks.

I am in such agreement with you. I blame consumerism yet again. People over-identify with their jobs. But as Tyler Durden said 'you are not your job'.
I refuse to sit at my desk and eat. I go for a walk at lunch, if its hot I will take the opportunity to stretch my legs. I bring a book to read at work. Work is a tiny percentage of my life, this is how it should be in my book.

Nice to know im not on my own on this one.

Like you I work to live, not live to work.

I'm out the door at 5 every night and refuse to do overtime.
Every extra minute spent in the office is a minute I could have spent with my family.
I go for runs or walk at lunch too. Can't bear to be stuck inside that place unless I need to.

Made my way here from Ranting Dullard's site. Like what I've seen so far.

Always happy to hear someone's enjoying the blog.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm The Wanted Man
  • Im like Superman without the super. With a head cold. Confused? Me too.
My profile

Blogs & Sites I Like

Geeky Stuff

Do you think the Flintstones and the Rubbles ever did a bit of wife swapping?
Yes! They were a right set of dirty fuckers
I bet the lads would have done but the ladies wouldn't hear of it
No! Don't be so fucking sick
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from the_man_that_is_wanted. Make your own badge here.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates