« Home | How to tell if someone is a decent human being, ju... » | Miniature sidekick interview » | Ni ta ma de tian xia suo you de ren dou gai si (on... » | The Rock Show » | Clubbing : The Culture of Wankers » | "One for Firefly the movie please" » | The rant of the day.... part two » | Rant of the day » | The craziest thing I've seen on TV in a while » | The Mourning Post » 

Monday, October 17, 2005 

What have I been watching lately?

I was going to do another 'What have I been up to?' but seeing as how I haven't actually done anything im going to give some mini reviews to films I've recently had the fortune or misfortune of seeing. I have seen plenty of films recently but Im only doing a few because im lazy.

The Fantastic Four

You know im a comic book geek, you know this, so you expecting the typical fanboy rant. Well sorry for being predictable but this film blows. Yes I love the Fantastic Four comic and yes im came to this with high expectations, which while we're on the subject, when did it become criminal to have high expectations for something? Nowadays your always hearing 'Yes well, you expected so much from it, it couldn't possibly live up to the hype' well you know what my response is to that? Get bent, the film should at least try to live up to the hype or expectations of fans, its like this automatic cop out for films to be shitty.
So yeah the film sucks ass, at the start Dr.Doom is living in the USA, rich and famous like Bill Gates, good looking and going out with Susan Storm, I could go on but any FF fans at this point knows it's a mess.
You could argue that the film has great effects but my advise is to fucking grow up, and if you still need to see 'great effects' go to a firework display, its cooler and more sociable of you.

Cinderella Man

From the title I thought this was something about Tranvestites so I wasn't that eager to see it but when someone told me it was a badass boxing film I made it a point to get hold of a copy.
It's a film about boxer Jim Bradock who was a great boxer during the American depression, at the beginning there's a little quote about how Bradocks story is the most interesting in American boxing history which I find a little irksome, the greatest boxer/boxing story is that of Jack Johnson, with Muhammad Ali a close second place. Respect to Bradock though because he managed to keep himself and his family fed and housed as well as keep his body in decent fighting shape in a time when some men just working for themselves struggled to eat.
Russel Crowe is surprisingly good here, Zellweger delivers her usual ho-hum performance while Craig Bierko is awesome as the infamous Max Baer that Brodock must face. Howard is a little heavy on the cheesy feel good theme but that's par for the course as far as Howard is concerned. Overall I'd recommend this film, although if you've yet to see Million Dollar Baby, see that instead.

The Princess Bride

I finally got round to getting this on DVD and what a treat it was. It's got Andre the Giant, Columbo and the guy from Robin Hood : Men In Tights. Featuring an interesting narrative and kick ass dialogue, hell, even Billy Crystal can't spoil this film with his cameo.
If you've never seen this film before I urge you to see it, if you have already seen it, c'mon, you know its about time for another viewing. Of all the films I've watched recently I enjoyed this the most, they just don't make them like they used to.

About me

  • I'm The Wanted Man
  • Im like Superman without the super. With a head cold. Confused? Me too.
My profile

Blogs & Sites I Like

Geeky Stuff

Do you think the Flintstones and the Rubbles ever did a bit of wife swapping?
Yes! They were a right set of dirty fuckers
I bet the lads would have done but the ladies wouldn't hear of it
No! Don't be so fucking sick
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from the_man_that_is_wanted. Make your own badge here.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates