« Home | A Disaster Waiting To Happen » | Idle Thoughts » | Not Too Sure About Stan The Man » | I've Really Fucked It. Have I Fucked It? » | People Get Shitty About Mr.Whippy » | Infinite Crisis Kicks Arse » | Free Texts! (If You're On Virgin) » | Argh!!!! Links Everywhere! » | Office Worker Gets DVT, Christ All Mighty » | The Raconteurs - I Like 'Em » 

Friday, May 12, 2006 

North vs South ...Still?

The other day a friend told me something that had happened to him and it's had me thinking since.
He'd finished work and decided to go to the pub. Instead of going to his local he thought he'd try another just for a change, now he is from just outside London and talks in what I would consider a quite posh voice (this will be important in a second). Just for background he has lived in the area for around 6 months and has never been any trouble to anyone.

So, he walks into the bar and orders a pint. They stare at him and do nothing. Pleasant by nature he just smiles and asks if everything is okay. Everything is not okay. They tell him that they will not serve him, they want him to leave and not to come back. Southeners are not welcome. Obviously he was beyond shocked, he is a white, heterosexual man, English, living in England and he has just had the first taste of prejudice in his life. Morevoer from another white, heterosexual man (I assume), English, living in England.

Now when I heard this my first thought was 'Well... some Northerners don't like Southerners but fuck me that's a bit strong'. There is still to an extent the old 'Arrrgh, Northern monkeys, Southern fairies' attitude but no one really takes it that seriously do they? Apparently some do.

Now racism/prejudice is shite in all forms, the hobby of dickheads, but with all the different races, beliefs and lifestyle choices in this great country of ours I find it hard to believe there is still room in the minds of some dickheads for the old North/South divide.

What really annoys me about all this, is that the pub in question is one of those that has England flags hung all round it. Turning away an Englishman for not being born in the same place as you, how fucking English is that?

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

That is indeed grim. Some northern towns are so parochial they wont serve you if you lived on the other side of town however.
Its a strange place.

Damn, I thought we had bad in the states. That's hardcore, though.

Prejudice sucks. Booooo.

Im used to some pubs being shitty if your not a 'regular' but to not serve someone out right is a new low.

Indeed, prejudice does suck. A friend of mine suggested me, him, our Southern friend, our Candadian friend, our Indian friend and our Taiwanese friend all go to this pub together. There would be so much prejudice at once those small minded bastards brains might melt.

Where was this pub? Must've been a really provincial place. I didn't think hostility like that still existed.

It wasn't in a tiny village, the pub in question is in a town just outside a major city.

I didnt know that about you guys!!
we americans tend to think that only happens in the states
I'm from the south (usa) and every time i think people have evolved..I see something that fucks my head right up..
last time i was home for a visit my sister was talking about a couple and their "grey baby"..I couldnt think of any medical problems called grey baby syndrome.. I was shocked when i realized she was talking about a mixed race kid..
Stupid sister.

Grey baby? Jesus.

I think there is an idealised view of the UK but rest assured we're as fucked up as anywhere else.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm The Wanted Man
  • Im like Superman without the super. With a head cold. Confused? Me too.
My profile

Blogs & Sites I Like

Geeky Stuff

Do you think the Flintstones and the Rubbles ever did a bit of wife swapping?
Yes! They were a right set of dirty fuckers
I bet the lads would have done but the ladies wouldn't hear of it
No! Don't be so fucking sick
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from the_man_that_is_wanted. Make your own badge here.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates