« Home | In demand » | A letter from Vegeta » | I really hate people » | Another good film from Burton » | Feel the burn! » | Miniature Interview - Fred Jones » | Midday thought » | Communication break down? Fuck off! » | Late night thoughts » | Quote of the week » 

Monday, November 07, 2005 

Leeds Film Festival '05

Yes it's that time of year again, no, I don't mean bloody Christmas you over eager fool, look at the bloody title of this post why don't ya? Im of course referring to the annual Film Festival.

I love the festival, even though I never see as many films as I'd like to, I like the sense of community as each cinema gives recommendations on what another cinema is showing, for too short a time not totally obsessed with ticket sales and market share and all that other shite.

The festival kicked off on Thursday and will be finishing up this coming Sunday; Terry Gilliam graced Leeds with his presence for an early showing of his 'Brothers Grim', I tried to get tickets but to no avail.

I urge anyone who can, to go along and watch a few films or as many as you can, there are some free screenings so I don't want to hear any 'Oh, I wanted to go honest, but im skint', if you say this to me I'll break your knee caps, you cheap swine.

I've gone along to the festival for a few years now, so for your enjoyment here are some of my top memories of festivals past;

* Waiting till one in the morning for the debut screening of 'Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back' outside Hyde Park cinema. Me and my friend Mike thought that Kevin Smith might possibly make an appearance, one look at the area and we soon abounded any hope of that. Highlights include standing outside a shop impersonating Jay and Silent Bob, getting free promotional stuff, challenging a stuck up couple who pushed in and the ramblings of a counter queue of people who didn't have tickets but who qued in the hope that they'd possibly be able to get in.

* Buying tickets for 'Cowboy Bebop: The Movie' and not buying enough tickets. Three of us went in for the film and then another friend who we thought was going to miss the film came into the theatre as the film was running asking for his ticket, with no ticket to give what was I to do? I handed him my ticket so he could go back to the people on the door and show them said ticket, as soon as he'd headed back outside I realised that out of the three of us mine was the only ticket the cinema guys had ripped. Im just imaging his pissed off reaction when he comes back in and calls me on being such a fool when remarkably he comes back in and sits down to watch the film, the cinema guys hadn't noticed the rip, unbelievable.

* Going along to 'Otakus in Love' by my lonesome. I couldn't generate any interest in this film so went along to see it by myself, before it started this guy got up and gave a little talk about the movie and why he liked it so much, which was really cool of him when you consider there was barely anyone in for the screening. The film was excellent and I feel privileged that im one of a select few who has been to see it.

* Buying tickets for a film and seeing everyone from my comic book shop in the line behind me. I can't remember which film it was, possibly 'The Princess Blade', anyways I saw pretty much the whole staff of my regular comic book store stood waiting to purchase tickets for the same film as myself and I couldn't help but think I'd missed my calling.

Sure I have some negative memories, such as the time I nearly wept with disappointment when I was told 'Steam Boy' was sold out or when reading about 'Donnie Darko' and I decided to not bother seeing it but these too are rich experiences to take away from the festival, it's either looking at it like that or drowning your sorrows in cheap larger, which you can do as well if you fancy.

Right, that's enough of my memories, time to go and make some of your own, get your arse down to a few screenings, you'll be glad you did.

About me

  • I'm The Wanted Man
  • Im like Superman without the super. With a head cold. Confused? Me too.
My profile

Blogs & Sites I Like

Geeky Stuff

Do you think the Flintstones and the Rubbles ever did a bit of wife swapping?
Yes! They were a right set of dirty fuckers
I bet the lads would have done but the ladies wouldn't hear of it
No! Don't be so fucking sick
  
Free polls from Pollhost.com
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from the_man_that_is_wanted. Make your own badge here.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates